Challenges of the two-year manuscript: Engaging in reflective practice with a manuscript about reflective practice
Objective: The intent of the project was to publish the results of completed survey research in a timely manner. Methods: Progress on the development of the manuscript was irregular, made more complicated by a lack of focus. Results: The resulting manuscript was finally submitted over two years after the data was collection. Lessons learned: Intentional reflection earlier in the process would have identified the underlying issues and generated solutions sooner.
3. Gibbs G. Learning by doing: a guide to teaching and learning methods. Oxford, UK: Oxford Centre for Staff and Learning Development; 1988 [cited 12 Mar 2020]. <https://shop.brookes.ac.uk/product-catalogue/oxford-centre-for-staff-learning-development/books-publications/ebooks/learning-by-doing-a-guide-to-teaching-and-learning-methods-by-graham-gibbs-ebook>.
4. Cirillo F. The Pomodoro Technique [Internet] [rev. 2019; cited 23 Mar 2020]. <https://francescocirillo.com/pages/pomodoro-technique>.
5. Lamott A. Bird by bird: some instructions on writing and life. New York, NY: Anchor; 1995. Chapter 3, Shitty first drafts; p. 20-6.
6. Ortlipp M. Keeping and using reflective journals in the qualitative research process. Qualitative Report [Internet]. 2008 Dec [cited 2020 Feb 20];13(4):695-705. <https://nsuworks.nova.edu/tqr/vol13/iss4/8>.
7. Houfek JF, Kaiser KL, Visovsky C, Barry TL, Nelson AE, Kaiser MM, Miller CL. Using a writing group to promote faculty scholarship. Nurse Educ. 2010 Jan-Feb;35(1):41-5. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1097/NNE.0b013e3181c42133.
8. Pennamon RE, Moss LJ, Springer SI. Scholarly writing groups: a source of support for early career counseling faculty and doctoral students. VISTAS Online [Internet]. 2016 [cited 2020 Mar 20]:article 72. <https://www.counseling.org/knowledge-center/vistas/by-year2/vistas-2016/docs/default-source/vistas/article_72_2016>.
9. Skarupski KA, Foucher KC. Writing accountability groups (WAGs): a tool to help junior faculty members build sustainable writing habits. J Fac Dev [Internet]. 2018 Sep [cited 2020 Mar 20];32(3):47-54. <https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/fac_development/career_path/skarupski-wags-article.pdf>.
10. Newport C. Deep work: rules for focused success in a distracted world. New York, NY: Grand Central Publishing; 2016.
- 2021-02-25 (2)
- 2021-02-25 (1)
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2020 Jolene Miller
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
All works in Hypothesis are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International license. Authors own copyright of their articles appearing in Hypothesis. Readers may copy articles without permission of the copyright owner(s), as long as the author(s) and the Medical Library Association are acknowledged in the copy, and the copy is used for educational, not-for-profit purposes. For any other use of articles, please contact the copyright owner(s).