About the Journal
About the Journal
The time is long overdue to close the widening gap of disconnect between scholars and practitioners within the ever-changing sports industry. The Sports Innovation Journal (SIJ) brings together researchers and practitioners dedicated to publishing research that informs the development of innovative ideas to move the sports industry forward through collaboration, access, and relevancy.
The SIJ is different by being clear that our intended end user is the practitioner who uses our research, as well as the scholar who builds on our work with relevant questions needing asked and solved for the future of sports.
The SIJ publishes scholarly research, non-empirical commentary, and case studies as part of the Indiana University Open Access Journals, and also summarizes the articles with infographics and discusses key takeaways and implementation strategy in a podcast interview and discussion with the author(s).
This journal's mission is to create an ongoing culture of collaboration between researchers and practitioners in every aspect of the sports industry. Instead of only targeting findings to other researchers, the Sports Innovation Journal works with practitioners to better understand the problems facing the industry and then deploys researchers to study and solve those problems, becoming industry change agents.
Focus and Scope
Sport is a multidisciplinary field applied in many settings, including public, community, youth, scholastic, intercollegiate, and professional. Innovation has become a well-known term but less is known as to what constitutes innovation in different areas of sports.
Examples of content areas within the aforementioned levels of sport are listed below. This is not to be considered an exhaustive list. Authors are encouraged to use their own discretion as to what is considered an innovative research topic or question and the editorial board will provide an extra level of review.
- Business Front Office (Marketing/Sales/Sponsorship/Ticketing)
- Personnel Front Office (Roster Management/Draft/Free Agency/Salary Cap)
- Legal & Compliance (NCAA Bylaws/Collective Bargaining Agreements/Media & Employment Contracts/Gambling/Agents & Attorneys)
- Governance & Business Structure (NCAA/Olympic/League Offices/Athletic Departments)
- Media & Journalism (Broadcasting/Radio/Writing/Creative/Interviewing/Technology)
- Data Analytics (Data Visualization/Fan Experience/Moneyball/Strategy)
- Human Centered Design (Fan & Participant Experience)
- Engineering & Technology (Equipment Design/Modernized Facilities/Safety Innovations/Software Applications)
- Sports Science (Treatment/Medical Devices/Athlete Performance Measurement)
- Entrepreneurship (Start-Up Companies/Start-Up Sports Leagues)
- Tourism (Event Bids/Travel Experience/
- Philanthropy (Fundraising/Development/Donor Analytics/Athlete Charities)
Peer Review Process
Sports Innovation Journal publishes peer-reviewed original research. All manuscripts receive double-blind peer review from two reviewers. Authors are encouraged to recommend reviewers during the submission process. Reviews will be completed in 45 days.
Articles are published on a rolling basis and will be compiled into annual volumes.
Open Access Policy
This journal provides immediate open access to its content on the principle that making research freely available to the public supports a greater global exchange of knowledge. Users have the right to read, download, copy, distribute, print, search, or link to the full texts of the articles in this journal, or use them for any other lawful purpose.
Become a Reviewer
If you are interested in becoming a reviewer for Sports Innovation Journal, please register with the journal and indicate your reviewing interests in the registration process.
Sports Innovation Journal is digitally preserved using the PKP Private LOCKSS Network (PLN). For more information about the PKP PLN, see https://pkp.sfu.ca/pkp-lockss/.
Article Processing/Submission Charges
Sports Innovation Institute does not use article processing charges (APCs) or other submission charges.